Job Title: Director of Advocacy
Organization: The Arc Community Advocates – Kalamazoo County
Classification: Full Time Salaried (40 hours)
Compensation: Commensurate with experience + (health, dental, vision, retirement, vacation).
Organization Description: The Arc Community Advocates exists as an advocacy organization to make it possible for each person with a developmental disability to participate fully in all aspects of community and to support the effort of each individual to determine his/her own future. As an affiliate member of The Arc, Community Advocates believes everyone is a valued, contributing member of their community. We help self-advocates and their families by creating opportunities, so they can achieve their goals.
Position Description: The Director of Advocacy directs and schedules the advocacy team to provide advocacy for specified clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities in areas including systems, medical, educational, and employment. Duties and responsibilities include:
· Work with clients to identify needs and plans for addressing those needs in order to maximize capacities and overcome barriers.
· Works with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to set up and deliver training and support to individuals with disabilities and their families to foster self advocacy and an enhanced knowledge of the disability services system.
· Oversees and is responsible for complete and accurate maintenance of all client data utilizing current data collection methods. Provides data to the Executive Director for grants and other reporting.
· Directs team advocacy efforts for collaboration and sharing of information in order to problem solve and best meet the needs of our clients.
Qualifications and Competencies:
· A bachelor’s degree in human services or a related field. Prior experience in advocating for people with developmental disabilities is preferred.
· Educates and motivates others to advocate for the least restrictive environment for people with developmental disabilities.
· Believes in the FULL inclusion of individuals into the community.
· Educates and motivates people to advocate for themselves.
· Must have follow through with consistently and thoroughness.
· Can diplomatically carry out job when there is disagreement.
· Has the ability to bring together a wide variety of ideas and viewpoints.
· Takes into consideration many different points of view to come up with advocacy solutions.
· Relates well to a diverse population, builds appropriate rapport, builds constructive and effective relationships.
· Is able to communicate clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles.
· Technologically proficient in all Microsoft Office programs and sufficient computer knowledge to learn and utilize additional programs.
Submit Resume and Cover Letter by March 31st to: Susan Rush at email@example.com
Use “Advocate” in the subject line. No calls please.
The Arc Community Advocates | 3901 Emerald Dr. Suite B, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 | Phone: 269.342.9801 | Fax: 269.342.4638 | Email Us