Job Title: Individual and Family Advocate
Organization: The Arc Community Advocates Classification:
Full Time (32-40 hours)
Compensation: $17 per hour and benefits (health, dental, vision, retirement)
Organization Description: The Arc Community Advocates exists as an advocacy organization to make it possible for each person with a developmental disability to participate fully in all aspects of community and to support the effort of each individual to determine his/her own future. As an affiliate member of The Arc, Community Advocates believes everyone is a valued, contributing member of their community. We help self-advocates and their families by creating opportunities, so they can achieve their goals.
Position Description:The Individual and Family Advocate works within the advocacy team to provide advocacy for specified clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities in areas including systems, medical, educational, long-term planning and employment. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Work with clients to identify needs and plans for addressing those needs in order to maximize capacities and overcome barriers.
- Provide training and support to individuals with disabilities and their families in order to foster self advocacy and an enhanced knowledge of the disability services system.
- Responsible for complete and accurate maintenance of all client data utilizing current data collection methods.
- Active participation in team advocacy efforts for collaboration and sharing of information in order to problem solve and best meet the needs of our clients.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A bachelor’s degree in human services or a related field or at least three years’ experience. Prior experience in education and advocating for people with developmental disabilities is preferred.
- Educates and motivates others to advocate for the least restrictive environment for people with developmental disabilities.
- Educates and motivates people to advocate for themselves.
- Has the ability to follow through consistently and thoroughly.
- Can accurately restate the opinion of others when he/she disagrees.
- Has the ability to bring together a wide variety of ideas and viewpoints
- Takes into consideration many different points of view to come up with advocacy solutions
- Relates well to a diverse population, builds appropriate rapport, builds constructive and effective relationships
- Is able to communicate clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings/styles
- Technologically proficient in all Microsoft Office platforms and sufficient computer. knowledge to utilize additional equipment, programs and databases.
- Understanding of Laws applicable to Special Education.
- Experience in giving presentations and speaking publically.
Please submit resume and cover letter by 12-8-17 to email@example.com or mail to
Community Advocates 3901 Emerald Drive Suite B, Kalamazoo Michigan 49001